Basic Drapery Panel Estimations
To approximate yardage for basic drapery panels, you will need the following measurements
- Cut length
- Finished length
- Hem allowance
- Rod pocket size
We recommend adding 16 inches to the number of inches to each panel for a seam allowance.
If your fabric has a repeat, you will need to add the cut length plus the number of inches in the repeat to each panel.
Below are examples of draperies that are 84" finished-length panels with no allowance for rod pockets:
Fabric with NO repeat:
Panels - 84" + 16" = 100" each panel
- 2 panels = 200" = 6 yards to ensure you have enough
- 3 panels = 300" = 9 yards to ensure you have enough
- 4 panels = 400"= 12 yards to ensure you have enough
Fabric with a 27" repeat:
- 1st panel = 84" + 16" = 100"
- 2nd & additional panels - 84" + 16" + 27" = 127"
- 2 panels = 227" = 7 yards to ensure you have enough
- 3 panels = 354" = 10 yards to ensure you have enough
- 4 panels = 481" = 14 yards to ensure you have enough
NOTE: If you are making panels for additional windows, the number of inches in the repeat must be added to ALL remaining panels to continue matching them all to the very first panel.
Yardage Estimate Chart for Basic Pairs of Standard Drapery Panels with 2 1/2 Times Fullness
|Length||Solids & Prints||MEDIUM Prints w/ up to 12in. V Repeat||LARGE Prints w/ up to 24in. V Repeat|
|60 inches||4.5 yds||5 yds||5.5 yds|
|70 inches||5 yds||5.5 yds||6 yds|
|80 inches||5.5 yds||6 yds||6.5 yds|
|90 inches||6 yds||6.5 yds||6.75 yds|
|100 inches||6.75 yds||7 yds||7.5 yds|
|110 inches||7.25 yds||7.5 yds||7.75 yds|
|120 inches||7.75 yds||8 yds||8.5 yds|